Notes on the data: Age distribution
Male/female/total population by 5-year age group: 0-4 years to 65+ years; and broad age group: 0-14, 15-24, 25-44, 45-64, 65+, 70+, 85+ years (Remoteness Areas: broad age groups only), 2020 ERP
Policy context: The Estimated Resident Population (ERP) is the official measure of Australia's population based on the concept of usual residence. It refers to all people, regardless of nationality or citizenship, who usually live in Australia, with the exception of foreign diplomatic personnel and their families. It includes usual residents who are overseas for less than 12 months. It excludes overseas visitors who are in Australia for less than 12 months. The ERP is based on the results of the Census of Population and Housing, adjusted for net undercount and Australian usual residents temporarily overseas on census night (see Notes, below). The ERP is compiled as at 30 June of each census year and updated quarterly between censuses for Australia, states and territories and annually for smaller areas .References
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). Population FAQs, accessed 21 September 2021. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/home/Population+FAQs.
Notes: The estimated resident population (ERP) at June 2016 was derived by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) by applying the following adjustments to the usual residence Census counts:
- removing overseas visitors who were in Australia on Census night from the Census counts;
- adjusting the Census counts for undercounting using results of the Post Enumeration Survey;
- including Australian residents who were temporarily absent overseas on Census night; and
- backcasting the resulting estimates which relate to the earlier 9 August 2011 to 30 June 2016 using births, deaths and migration data.
In August each year the ABS issues an updated ERP by age, sex and Statistical Area Level2, at 30 June of that year.
Geography: Data available by Population Health Area, Local Government Area, Primary Health Network and Remoteness Areas
Numerator: Male, female and total estimated resident population in 2020 by 5-year age group: 0-4 years to 65+ years and/or broad age group: 0-14, 15-24, 25-44, 45-64, 65+, 70+, 85+ years
Denominator: Total males, females or persons, estimated resident population in 2020
Detail of analysis: Per cent
Source: Compiled by PHIDU based on the ABS estimated resident population, 30 June 2020.