Population pyramid generator
The Population pyramid generator allows you to generate population pyramids for the whole population and for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations for a range of geographical areas. For example:
- generate a population pyramid for the total population by age group in Population Health Areas (PHAs), Local Government Areas (LGAs), Primary Health Networks (PHNs), or Section of State (e.g., Sydney/ non-metropolitan NSW);
- generate a population pyramid for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population by Indigenous Area (IARE), Indigenous Region (IREG), or Section of State (e.g., Sydney/ non-metropolitan NSW), or compare profiles by Indigenous status;
- compare population pyramids for two areas e.g., Parramatta (C) and the Sydney GCCSA, or the IAREs of Port Hedland and Broome;
- compare the population in Broome IARE by Indigenous status; and
- build a snapshot (save image as a .png file)
Datasource and Notes
2017 ERP (PHA, LGA, and PHN) – ABS Estimated Resident Population
2016 erp (IARE) – PHIDU estimated resident population.
- This population was estimated at the IARE level using the proportion (based on the 2016 Census URP) of people in each age group within each IREG (ABS 2016 ERP). The proportions within the age groups were then applied to the IARE (2016 ERP).
Please note that areas with populations below 100 have been excluded.
The default setting shows the populations as a per cent in each age group: this can be changed to show the numbers.
- To get a clearer comparison, select the area of main interest as comparator 2.
- To assist you in your search for an area (e.g., LGA, PHA, PHN), click on 'Select Area Type' and type the name of the area which you are searching for.
This functionality might vary depending on your Internet browser e.g., the first letter typed will activate an area, the second will activate a new area.
View population pyramids
View the population pyramids for: